We Expect Atiku, Other Comrades In ADC To Jump Ship, Join Us In NDC, Says Buba Galadima

A chieftain of the New Democratic Coalition (NDC), Buba Galadima, has called on former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and other members of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) to defect to the NDC.

Speaking on Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’ programme on Monday evening, Galadima claimed that the recent court rulings have rendered the ADC ineffective as a political platform ahead of the 2027 elections.

“Any sensible Nigerian, every intelligent Nigerian should know that the judgment of Justice Joyce Abdul-Malik on Wednesday last week, and the judgment of the Supreme Court on Thursday last week, have completely disenfranchised the ADC as a viable political vehicle for the 2027 elections,” he said.

“But even before these judgements, some good Samaritans, during our sniffing to find out what was happening, had advised us that we should better look for another platform.

“Because they said that they don’t think that these judgments would be favourable to us, and that the ADC would be an available vehicle for contest in the 2027 elections.

“So, we, being wise politicians as we are, and being masters of this game, started looking for alternatives and awaited the judgment until the judgments came last week.”

According to Galadima, for anybody to think that a High Court judge will pronounce judgment on an issue that is before the Supreme Court, something must be wrong; hence, “you had better pick a race if you have the legs to run.”

Galadima explained, “We waited for the Thursday judgment, and when that happened, we started reaffirming our position to look for an alternative, and it is this alternative that culminated in us, and yesterday (Sunday), the principals declared for the NDC Party.

“I would want to say categorically that we had asked some of our allies in the ADC to really pick a race and look for an alternative platform because the judgments have shown a booby trap for all those who will be trapped in it.”

Galadima also addressed criticism surrounding the frequent Party movements of Labour Party’s 2023 Presidential candidate, Peter Obi, dismissing suggestions that the Presidential ticket is his driving factor.

“Is it about the ticket? Galadima questioned, “The vehicle is not available based on the judgments. We didn’t leave until there was a judgment setting a booby trap for everybody within the ADC.

“This is why we are using this opportunity to call on the remnants of our comrades still in the ADC to come to NDC, where we will have a level playing ground, where we are all joiners within a day, and where primaries will be held.”

Specifically, Galadima said, “I’m particularly calling on former Vice President Atiku Abubakar to jump ship and come to the NDC, such that there would be a level-playing ground for everybody because all of us are joining at about the same time, such that there will be a free, fair, transparent, and level-playing ground for the contest to get the ticket of the NDC.

“And whosoever refuses to do that means he is the enemy of Nigeria by scattering the unity of the opposition political parties and their ability to unseat President Bola Tinubu.”

When asked about the legal standing of the NDC, Galadima insisted the Party is free from litigation and capable of accommodating aspirants ahead of the next general elections.

“As we speak now, NDC is very clean and as white as the snow. There is no encumbrance on it, and if anybody is suing INEC, that does not mean that he is suing the NDC,” he said.

According to him, “As far as we are concerned, we did our due diligence, consulted former judges, very highly intelligent and resourceful lawyers, SAN, and they told us that we are good to go.

“That is why everybody who wants to run for election, the NDC is the vehicle to approach for now. But that does not mean that this Government of the APC cannot try some funny things, but we are there waiting for them.”

Last Sunday, Peter Obi formally defected from the ADC to the NDC alongside the former Kano State Governor and 2023 Presidential candidate of the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP)Rabiu Kwankwaso, and other opposition figures ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Obi’s move came after weeks of uncertainty within the ADC following the court rulings referenced by Galadima, which created more internal tensions and raised concerns about the Party’s legal standing and electoral viability.

Obi, in his statements confirming his defection from the ADC to the NDC, indicated that the move was driven by the need to secure a stable, litigation-free platform capable of mounting a strong challenge against the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and President Bola Tinubu in 2027.