The National Sports Commission (NSC) has dismissed claims of unpaid bonuses to the Super Falcons, insisting that all entitlements were cleared before the team’s last game against Morocco.
The Director-General of the NSC, Bukola Olopade, said this on Friday during an interview on Arise TV, following comments by Falcons’ star player, Rasheedat Ajibade, who had alleged that the team was yet to receive monies and other promised benefits.
“I can confirm authoritatively that all their bonuses have been paid. I spoke with Ajibade yesterday and with the NFF, and everybody is on the same page,” Olopade said.
He, however, admitted that “one or two players” may not have accessed their payments due to banking complications involving the Central Bank of Nigeria.
On the $100,000 cash reward pledged to the Super Falcons after their 2024 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) triumph, Olopade assured that the presidential promise was intact and would soon be redeemed.
“On the promise of Mr. President, I can assure you that it will be paid,” he said.
He added that the NSC was already in touch with the Minister of Works and Housing and the Renewed Hope Housing Initiative to ensure that houses promised to the team would also be delivered “in record time.”
Ajibade had earlier voiced her displeasure in an interview, insisting that the players were yet to receive their dues.
“We have not received our money, but hopefully it would be paid. They have not paid all the promises, we have not received anything,” she had said.
Olopade, however, stressed that the Commission placed high priority on the welfare of Nigerian athletes, vowing that every outstanding commitment would be settled.
“The NSC doesn’t play with the remuneration and welfare of athletes,” he said.