INEC Announces Final Phase Of Voter Registration Ahead Of 2027 Elections

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that it will begin the final phase of the nationwide Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise on May 11, 2026, as preparations continue ahead of the 2027 General Elections.

In a statement released on Tuesday by the Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Kudu Haruna, the Commission explained that the registration exercise will last until July 10, 2026, giving more Nigerians another chance to register.

“The Independent National Electoral Commission wishes to inform the general public that the current nationwide Continuous Voter Registration exercise will resume for its third and final phase on Monday, 11th May 2026,” the statement read.

INEC also explained that the second phase of the registration exercise was stopped earlier on April 17, 2026, so that the Commission could properly review and clean up the voter register after public objections and claims.

“It may be recalled that the second phase of the exercise was suspended on 17th April 2026 to allow the Commission clean up the register after its publication for claims and objections by registrants,” Haruna stated.

The Commission encouraged Nigerians who have turned 18 years old, as well as those who missed earlier registration opportunities, to take advantage of the new phase. It said both fresh registration and updates will be allowed during this period.

“During this period, eligible citizens who have attained the age of 18, as well as those who were unable to register during the earlier phases, should seize this opportunity to do so,” the statement added.

INEC also said that people who need to transfer their registration, replace lost or damaged Permanent Voter Cards, or correct their details can either use the online portal or visit designated INEC offices across the country.

The Commission further stated that the voters’ register will be displayed again for public review to ensure accuracy and transparency.

“In continuation of the process, the Commission will display the Register of Voters for claims and objections from Thursday, 23rd July to Wednesday, 29th July 2026,” Haruna said, adding that the process is aimed at improving the credibility of the register.

INEC assured Nigerians that everything necessary has been put in place for a smooth exercise.

“The Commission reassures Nigerians that all necessary arrangements have been concluded for the smooth conduct of the exercise,” the statement noted.

The announcement follows the completion of the second phase of the CVR, during which INEC recorded a total of 3,748,704 completed registrations across the country, including both online pre-registrations and physical enrolments.

The Commission said it is now focusing on verification and cleanup processes to maintain a reliable voter database ahead of the 2027 elections.