Court Gives Nnamdi Kanu Till November 7 To Open Defence Or Risk Case Closure

The Federal High Court in Abuja has given the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, till November 7 to open his defence in the ongoing terrorism trial.

The court again warned that failure to do so would lead to the closure of his case.

Justice James Omotosho, presiding over the matter, described the adjournment as Kanu’s last opportunity to defend himself.

“We had adjourned till today for the defendant to put in his defence or be deemed closed. But, I am bound to give him another opportunity to put in his defence,” the judge said.

“If he does not, I will deem him closed. I know that he is an economist and not a lawyer. I will give the last opportunity to the defendant to put in his defence, failure which he would be deemed closed,” Justice Omotosho added before adjourning till November 7.

Earlier, prosecuting counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), had urged the court to foreclose Kanu’s defence, noting that he had already used up five of the six days allotted for his defence without presenting any witnesses or evidence.

Awomolo reminded the court that, “the court, on Tuesday, adjourned till Wednesday for Kanu to enter a defence in his trial or be deemed to have waived his right to do so.” He added that the defendant again refused to open his defence when proceedings resumed.

According to the prosecution, Kanu maintained that there was no valid charge against him and therefore declined to proceed. Awomolo then prayed the court to foreclose the defendant and adjourn the matter for judgment.

From the dock, Kanu reiterated his position, insisting there was “no valid charge” against him to warrant entering any defence.

Meanwhile, Justice Omotosho cautioned Kanu’s former lawyers — P. A. N. Ejiofor, Aloy Ejimakor, Dr. Maxwell Opara, and Prince Mandela Umegburu — who now act as his consultants, to conduct themselves within professional ethics.

This followed complaints by Awomolo, who accused the lawyers of granting media interviews and making social media posts about the ongoing trial.

The court then adjourned proceedings till November 7, when Kanu is expected to finally open his defence or have the case declared closed.

Earlier, MJConcept TV News reported that Justice Omotosho gave the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, until Wednesday November 5 to open his defence in the terrorism case against him or forfeit his right to do so.

The judge had issued the directive after Kanu, for the fourth consecutive day, insisted he would not begin his defence following the prosecution’s closure of its case and the court’s earlier dismissal of his no-case submission.

Justice Omotosho thereafter warned that if Kanu does not open his defence on Wednesday November 5, he would be considered to have voluntarily waived his right.

The court had earlier, on October 27, adjourned to November 4 for Kanu to either file his final written address or proceed with his defence.

Kanu, who is representing himself, had informed the court that he had not filed any final written address as instructed but had instead submitted a motion and a supporting affidavit.

MJConcept TV News earlier reported that Mazi Nnamdi Kanu filed a new motion before the Federal High Court in Abuja, asking the court to strike out all charges against him and order his immediate release.

In the new court document obtained by MJConcept TV News, the motion is titled “Motion on Notice and Written Address in Support” and dated 30th of October, 2025. 

Kanu, who is representing himself in court, told the trial judge that there is “no charge or counts cognisable within the corpus juris of the Federal Republic of Nigeria” against him, insisting that the charges are “a nullity ab initio for want of any extant legal foundation.”

The document, filed pursuant to several constitutional and statutory provisions, including Sections 1(3), 6(6)(b), and 36(12) of the 1999 Constitution, the Evidence Act 2011, and the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022, forms part of Kanu’s continued legal challenge against his ongoing prosecution by the Nigerian Government.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *